Safety Patrol Application Process
The Safety Patrol Application will be distributed in early May for students to complete and return. The following is the process used to determine how a student was selected for being on the Safety Patrol Team:
- The application AND essay must be returned by the given deadline. All Applications and essay are due Monday, May 1, 2017. We will not accept late applications. The essay question is "Why do you want to be a Robert L. Horbelt School Safety Patrol Member?"
- Once all applications are returned to either Mrs. Mayo or Miss Brown, the essays will be reviewed and scored. We use a rubric to score each applicant. Then we will sit down with each student and interview them individually.
- Attendance in 4th grade will be reviewed. If students were excessively absent, tardy or picked up early, their current 4th grade teacher will note it on the rubric.
- We will also ask the special area teachers in gym, computers, music and art for their recommendations. The safety candidates are scored based on their behavior and performance in the classrooms during special.
- The last step is the Principal Recommendation. Dr. Saxton will review the applications and rubrics, and recommend qualifying students for the position.
- We do offer a Safety Patrol trial period in June. All students who apply for the Safety Patrol get an opportunity to see how the safeties work during their afternoon duties.
If students had lunch detentions, or were sent to the main office for referrals, it will be noted on the rubric.
We will be mailing home letters for the safety patrol in July. Your child will receive either the safety patrol acceptance letter, or a letter stating they are not on the safety patrol. If your child does not receive a letter from the Safety Patrol, please email Mrs. Mayo and Miss Brown. Make sure both of our email addresses are attached to the email's message. Please do not call the school. We will not be in school until late August.
If a student was selected as an "alternate," he/she will have a safety patrol substitute position. These students will receive a safety belt like the other safeties. They also need to be prepared for outdoors AND indoors posts everyday. "Alternate Safeties" will stay in one location throughout the year unless they need to be moved to fulfill another safety's post. We always have two "alternate safeties" on the safety patrol.
Copies of the Application and Rubric can be located here: