Dear Parents / Guardians,
Welcome to the 2016-2017 school year! We are excited to begin a new year with you and your child. The purpose of this letter is to provide you with a brief overview of some of the programs offered by the Elementary Guidance Department.
· Barnegat C.A.R.E.S. Character Education Program: This program helps students learn about the importance of developing strong character. Several character traits are highlighted during the year. Students, who demonstrate the various traits in an outstanding way, will be recognized by their teachers and will receive award certificates from the Administration. The traits for this year are listed below.
September & October: Respect
November & December: Perseverance
January & February: Courtesy & Manners
March & April: Honesty
May & June: Citizenship & Service
· Community Circle: Community Circle is an effective forum for classroom instruction and management and will be a part of your child’s school day. Your child’s teacher will use the Community Circle as a method to set a positive tone, build friendships and character, and improve academic and social skills.
· Caring Messages: At the start off each week, members from the 4th and 5th Grade Bully Prevention Committee will announce a caring message to the entire school. The message coordinates with the monthly character trait and helps to inspire our students.
· The Mentoring Program: The Mentoring Program is a voluntary program where staff members and students spend some time together each week during the school day. The purpose of the program is to provide friendship and support to the student(s) in the form of fun activities such as sharing lunch, playing games, or arts and crafts.
· SAFE-Safety Awareness for Everyone: In an effort to keep your child safe and sound,
we have partnered with the Child Assault Prevention Program (CAP) and will present
safety lessons to all students K-5.
· Bully Prevention and Awareness Lessons: The counselors will present lessons during the year to teach the importance of acceptance and to promote an atmosphere of friendliness in the school. Members of the 4th and 5th Grade Bully Prevention Committee will assist the Counselors with these presentations.
· Individual and Group Counseling, Consultation, and Referral Services: These services are available for all students and families.
If we can be of any help to you or your family, please contact us at the Guidance Department of your child’s school. We wish you and your child a wonderful school year!
The School Counselors